Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chalk Board vs. Computer

You know the saying, "back to the drawing board"?  Is a drawing board the same as a chalk board?  Because I am definitely ready to go back to the chalk board.  Teachers in our school are constantly being told to incorporate technology.  Some of us embrace technology wholeheartedly, although I can neither confirm nor deny its effectiveness.  Then there are others of us that are apprehensive, bordering on negative, or one might say, plain ol' stubborn and old-fashioned.  The events of today gives credence to the wisdom of technological backwardness. 

I have six MacBooks in my classroom.  I haven't used them for a variety of reasons which don't really figure into the problem at  hand.  But yesterday I got to thinking that I really should make use of my laptop and projector.  This past weekend I bought a devise to marry the laptop and the projector with the intention of using it to show a movie or a website.  Then I got to thinking that I could let the kids dictate notes on earthquakes, and we could make a class copy of seismic facts.  The kids would like that.  I could easily keep track of a set of notes for each of six classes.  I would be utilizing technology.  We could use the notes to review and reinforce and repeat.  And repeat again as needed.

So this morning I get to work bright and early to make a set of copies and set up the computer/projector combo.  I go straight to the copy room at 7:25 to find seven people ahead of me on line for the single working machine. (We were copier-less for two days.)  I left my copy with the art teacher who was last on line.  Then I returned to my room to set up the technology.

I connected everything with no problem.  I worked in the front of the room, which is too close to the board to be clear.  But it wasn't a problem because I was just testing the system.  I wasn't planning to actually set it in place until after homeroom.  I looked through the icons and didn't see a Word program.  I found all my old documents that had been copied off my desk computer, but I couldn't figure out how to write a new document.  I disconnected the laptop and ran back to the copy room, dutifully remembering to lock the door behind me.  Technology does, after all, require additional security.  I figured I could get assistance while waiting my turn for the copier.  There were still two people ahead of me.  Neither of them could figure out how to open a new document either.  I left my colleagues puzzling over the situation while I ran back to my room to get copy paper.  Last time I checked there was paper in the room, but it was all gone so I needed to get my private stash.  I unlocked the door, grabbed paper, and ran back.  I made the copies, with five minutes until homeroom, grabbed the laptop and my keys, and dashed to Hans's room.  Maybe he'd know how to use the stupid thing. After all, he's the one who started me thinking about using the computer in the first place.

I barged into his room without saying good morning and demanded, "How do I write on this thing?"  He said he'd try to remember.  It was an icon with birds on it.  He found it quickly.  Since I hadn't used it before I had to register.  First name.  Last name.  Initials.  Do you want to register now, later, or never?  "Never," Hans suggested.  Never, I readily agreed.  The kids were on the way up.  Bingo!  I was in.  I muttered a hasty thank you as I and all my stuff shuffled hurriedly out the door and unlocked my own room.  I dumped everything and dispatched a student to get the breakfast.  Joanne, my parter homeroom teacher,  oversaw my class as I frantically reset the screen for full page, my preferred font, and a large print.  I was ready.  Joanne also watched the class while I ran to the ladies' room, an errand teachers never neglect because the next rest stop is two hours away. 

Breakfast over, books at the ready, I dismissed my homeroom and greeted my first period class, who are, at least in my eyes today, saints.  I warned them immediately that I was not too tightly wrapped at the moment, so they should not approach me until everything was set up.  I displaced two students to properly place my projector and laptop.  It was at this point that I realized that each of my dozen or so extention cords are for two-pronged plugs.  Naturally I needed a three-pronged model.  I called Hans who sent one over.  My students kept themselves relatively quiet if not busy while I worked through my difficulties.  I was almost ready when the projector went to sleep.  One of the kids woke it up.  Good.  I was in business for approximately two characters.  I wanted to write "EARTHQUAKES".  I got EA up there when I got the circly icon thing.  It kept spiraling.  I waited patiently.  Then I waited nervously.  Someone suggested that I reboot.  I did.  The kids in the back were singing "The Wheels on the Bus".  I gave them a dirty look.  Finally signed back in, I looked up at the screen.  The background was being projected, but not the applications.  I called for the computer teacher.  While I was waiting two helpful students came to offer opinions and assistance.  They looked into my eyes and backed away cautiously.  The computer teacher came, mucked around, and left promising me an answer.  I moved the whole mess to a side table.  I owe first period an entire science lesson because we did exactly zero work.  They, however, stayed away, for which I am totally grateful. 

Second period I wrote notes on the board.  Class went smoothly.  Third period was lunch.  Yes, my kids eat at 9:55.  I still hadn't heard from the computer teacher.  I called the other computer teacher. Fourth period I wrote on the board.  Things went swimmingly.  The other computer teacher came, mucked around, and left with the manual for the projector.  She promised to call someone who would know what to do.  Fifth period I have another teacher with me.  After class I told Ron my trials and tribulations.  He said someone else had the same problem and he knew how to fix it.  He went to some obscure setting and dragged something across a screen.  Voila!  My problems were over.  I called both computer teachers and told them the crisis was over. 

I am happy to report that seventh and eighth period I was up and running.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep my computer/laptop set up in the center of a classroom while 165 sixth graders come in and out in 45 minute intervals.  I will have to ensure the safety of this technology, make sure no one trips on the cord, always remember to lock the door, and hope there are no more obscure settings that I don't know about.  It's certainly doable, but it makes my non-secure, totally wireless, indestructable, 100% dependable chalk board sound like the real winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment