Friday, October 1, 2010

Taking the Day Off While at Work

A workshop, an extended nap, and gender segregation at Games.  That's today's synopsis.

I spent yesterday and today at a workshop on supporting English Language Learners after they exit the bilingual program.  It was a decent workshop- not the greatest I've ever attended, but way far from the worst.  I prefer to think of them as days off from work for the following reasons.

1.  I theoretically get to sleep later.  This is only a theory because I still have to get Tara up and out of the house before 6:45 even though I don't have to leave the house until 7:30.  Some day this will mean I get to sleep until 7.

2.  I get a chance to park in a real parking lot.  If the workshop is out of district there is always a parking lot.  Some schools have parking if you get there early enough.  But if all the teachers are in the lot, then there will be parking on the street in reasonable proximity to the school.  This is good when you're accustomed to circle the block like a buzzard waiting for someone to leave home to you can have their parking space.  At this workshop I was totally out of luck.  My workshop was held in the administration building, which was built in 18-something, considerably before anyone was trying to park a car.  So parking on what used to be a playground is reserved for administrators, secretaries, and Adult School staff.  But, years ago someone pointed out that there are a handful of unreserved spots in the back alley entrance to the building.  Since the neighborhood vehicles were packed bumper to bumper and it was pouring rain, I snuck to the back of the building and found a spot with no reserved sign, no loading area sign, no permit required sign, and no door to block.  And to sweeten a beautiful situation, someone opened the back door so I didn't have to walk all the way around.  The bad news is that at the end of the day, I found a ticket-looking paper on my windshield.  I searched carefully for the phone number of the person whom I would be arguing the ticket with.  To my great relief it was not a parking ticket but a warning from the Board of Education that I have been permanently registered as a parking offender.  That was yesterday.  Today I parked three blocks away and walked in the rain all the way around to the front of the building.

3.  We get breakfast.  Sometimes.  The rule is that the Powers-That-Be are not allowed to spend money feeding us coffee and bagels.  They can only spend money on breakfast for people coming in from somewhere else, like other Powers-That-Be.  But the bilingual supervisor sprung for a nice breakfast spread both mornings.  We know better than to get used to it.

4.  We get to rest our voices.  As of Wednesday at dismissal my throat was raw and felt swollen from six shows a day, five days a week, plus barking supplemental orders such as:  sit down, get your book bag, put your book bag away, be quiet and listen,  be quiet and listen, be quiet and listen, didn't you hear the bell, get up, get out, let's go!  I am happy to report that they hired a substitute drill sergeant and my throat will feel perfectly normal until Monday.

5.  We get to use the bathroom whenever we want.  This is a workshop perk beyond all else.

6.  We get a whole hour for lunch.  This means we can go out.  Of course we walk because we are all either too far from our car or are afraid to give up our spot.  And off we go without having to walk anyone to the cafeteria or leaving enough time to pick anyone up on the playground.  Heaven.

7.  The workshop ends at a specific time and we can leave, for absolute certain.  There will be no one to keep for detention.  No administrator will want to see you for just a minute.  I can not hear myself being paged to the office, nor do I have to speak for the parent who stopped in at the last minute.  I am sure that something in the classroom is out of order, but I don't have to clean it up, well not until Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment