Tuesday, January 11, 2011

How Much Faith Should I Place on the Weatherman?

I have a dilemma.  The snowblower gave out last winter and we never replaced it.  There is a major snowstorm coming.  I will  be shoveling.  Here's the problem.  I could stay up all night shoveling a few inches at a time.  If I'm lucky I could even be out there when Snowplowman comes. 

Snowplowman will come after you have spent hours digging out.  He will empty the entire accumulation of the street into your clean driveway.  When you clear out the new pile, he'll come again.  And again.  He is relentless but he can be warded off.  I have learned that he will not dump on you if you stare him down.  Yes, I have stood guard in my driveway.  I have posted myself, and my children, shovels in hand, at the base of the driveway, double-dog-daring him to do it while we were standing there.  And he backed down.  This was a serious moment of triumph for me.

He did,  however, get revenge.  After another storm I had shoveled myself out early and left to go shopping.  When I returned he had snow-piled me out of my own driveway. 

I get so worked up thinking about Snowplowman that I digress from my original intent.  The best thing for me to do is stay up all night and shovel a couple of inches at a time.  Then tomorrow when everyone else is partaking of the Big Dig, I will be sleeping upstairs in a warm bed.  But, what if, by some bizarre twist of fate, I stay up all night chasing the snow off my pavers, and school is not called off.  What if it's a snowy night not followed by a snow day?  It's been known to happen.  The snow that was supposed to start soon after dark has not started at 7:40.  So... how much faith do I place on the weatherman?

No comments:

Post a Comment