Sunday, January 2, 2011

Installment II: Ceramic Knife Divides Coach Saga

I'd like to continue the Saga of the Coach, but I have always been a fan of chronological order.  A couple of nights later I had a minor panic attack and was nursing thoughts that Best Buy would run out of the earphones I wanted to buy BP.  I couldn't stand the anxiety a moment longer, so I announced to BP and Laura that I was going to Target to buy... something.  I was really headed to Best Buy to give Tara, who was working there, money to get the earphones.  Laura, who was making chocolate covered pretzels, said she wanted to come with me to buy little gift bags for the pretzels.  Off we went.  My first stop was the ATM so I could get cash.  Although I use a debit card for every other possible purchase, when I buy for BP I need cash so he can't track the progress of his own Christmas present acquisition.  To Stop and Shop we went.  They even had gift bags. 

But Laura thought we could get them at a better price at Michael's, and get Dad a ceramic knife at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  I was packing two BBB coupons, so off we went.  We couldn't find the right knife.  They only had a $20 "as seen on TV" version, so we passed.  We got the gift bags at Michaels.  Then we headed south on Route 1 towards Tara and Best Buy.  As we approached, Laura started thinking that we should go to Market Fair to find the knife.  Off we went.  We found a great knife at Williams Sonoma.  Unfortunately there was only one great knife left, and it had a pink handle.  Agreeing that Daddy would not like a knife with a pink handle, we perused the rest of the mall fruitlessly and left empty-handed. 

As we approached the U-Turn Laura observed that we were a few short minutes from Quakerbridge Mall.  We might find a knife at Macy's.  So off we went.  We did not find the knife at Macy's or anywhere else.  Laura did, however, make an interesting observation.  The knives in the display blocks at Macy's could easily slide out of the blocks.  Anyone, at Christmastime at the mall, could easily obtain a weapon.  Laura thought this very distrubing since display knives at Target are securely bolted into their blocks.  I thought it disturbing that Laura knows how kitchen knives are displayed anywhere.  Anyway, we bought a small amount of Gertrude Hawk candy, used the restroom, and got a soda.  As we left the mall, empty-handed, BP called wondering if we were at the Target in Cleveland, Ohio.  We assured him that we would be home very soon.  We delivered the money to Tara and came home. 

While I did feel somewhat reassured to actually see the earphones in the store, I was now concerned that we didn't have the knife.  It's not that I had zero presents in hand.  I spent a previous Sunday wandering aimlessly and desperately through Walmart.  I had scored a $10 sweatshirt and a football jersey.  I liked the sweatshirt, but I was concerned what BP would really think of the Jersey.  After all, as I was purchasing it, the quarterback who's name I was buying was busy lying sacked on the field.  Again.  The earphones should be on the way home soon, but I needed that knife. 

I would like to add that at some point, either that night or at some other time, Laura and I were in the kitchen department at Target.  I checked out the kitchen knife display.  They are, indeed, bolted in.  All except one paring knife that was either overlooked or unbolted... a weapon for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment