Monday, September 13, 2010

How To Lose an Hour and a Half

Today I was going to leave school right after dismissal.  All I had to do was straighten up my desk and look over tomorrow's lessons.  About halfway through tomorrow the other science teacher walked in with a cardboard box and a great idea for an earthquake demonstration.  We discussed it for a minute or two, and off he went to test it.  As soon as he left I came up with another idea to make it even better.  Off I went to tell him.  We had a great idea.  If only we could demonstrate the effect of earthquakes on buildings.  So then I was retrieving Legos from my closet.  Ten minutes later we had a great lesson all set up.  All I had to do was straighten up my desk and look over tomorrow's lessons.

The very last paper I had to clear involved coordinating a library visit with two other teachers.  This coordination involved three conversations.  The third conversation led to questions over the school breakfast procedures, the difficulties of switching classes so often, and how we are going to get the students missing from the computer into the computer.  Only then did I actually look over tomorrow's lessons.

Then there was one stop on the way out to say hello to a friend.  Just five more minutes won't kill anyone.

This is how I lost an hour and a half of an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment