Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sundays tend to be boring, I thought.  Yup.  I was ready to just loll about on the couch  and scoff down a steady procession of snacks for the rest of the day.  That's a long rest of the day when it's only noon.  I had been thinking about kayaking, but cool, rainy weather doesn't quite make Cedar Creek a great idea.  So I made myself  write a short list of ways to spend a boring Sunday.  First, I could go down to the basement and find the proper colors of green and terra cotta so I can fix the touch up painting from yesterday.  Second, I could clean out my closet.  Third, I could bake banana bread.  Fourth, I could type the English essay Tara was campaigning for me to type.  Fifth, I could go back to my original predisposition, the one in which I loll about on the couch and scoff down a steady procession of snacks for the rest of the day.

It was time to apply the process of elimination.  I thought about taking care of the paint situation, but that would require a trip to Home Depot in the rain and would be less appealing that the state of boredom I was dealing with in the first place.  Typing the essay was probably on par with painting.  Lying on the couch and baking banana bread would both keep me in physical proximity to the child with the untyped essay and would hamper my attempts to avoid the situation.  Therefore, I concluded, today would be an excellent day to clean out my closet.

I threw out a kitchen-sized garbage bag of shirts I haven't worn hundreds of moons due to the fact that they were really old and worn out.  I rediscovered a whole bunch of shirts that count as new again because I forgot I had them.  I decided against going through the winter shirts stowed away in storage tubs.  Doing that would be akin to admitting that summer is really over, and I'd rather milk that one until sometime in October when I'm absolutely forced to wear a warm jacket.  I did, however crazy this sounds, lay out all my clothes for the week.  By the time I finished the job, the English essay was typed and the student typist wanted to go to Barnes and Noble.

Barnes and Noble!  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  A bookstore is one place I never turn down.  Tara had a gift card to spend and she headed off to the DVD section.  I went in seach of the book I returned to the library and wanted to buy so I could own a copy.  Oddly enough, they only have it at the Menlo Park store.  The clerk offered to call the store and have it reserved for me.  Then he turned the computer screen toward me and I realized that it's a $26 book if it's already sitting on the shelf, but I could get it for $18 if I buy it online.  This makes no sense to me.  I will do it, but I'm not seeing the logic. 

Not having a book to purchase, I found a magazine and made myself happy and comfortable in the reading area.  Too soon it was time to go.  Tara bought two seasons of I Love Lucy.  I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I'm looking forward to seeing that. 

Once home I checked in with fantasy football.  My quarterback is the one off the field with a concussion.  We ate our standard Football Sunday dinner:  hors d'euvres.  This week was Past Prime Pigs in Blankets, other pastry-wrapped goodies that can't truly be identified, chicken nuggets, and mozzarella sticks.  Next week I think we'll do wings and maybe Chinese dumplings.

So now Sunday is close to over, and it wasn't boring after all.  A short walk, a hot shower, a cup of tea and a little reading will finish it off nicely.  If my running back would score some points it would complete the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment